Elderly dental care in St. Louis Park, Hopkins, Minnetonka and greater Minneapolis since 1950.
Yes, Rhode Island Dental has been serving seniors with attentive dental care since Harry S. Truman was president! Rhode Island Dental is a true family dental practice, looking after generations of families from the child years through senior years.
The elderly need special dental care
Ensure that your parents and grandparents get regular dental checkups since tooth and gum problems can affect the overall health of seniors. Regular checkups can prevent major health crises in the elderly.
Why Seniors Need Regular Dental Care
A proper elderly dental care program can help seniors avoid a number of oral health problems such as:
- Gum disease and/or tooth loss, often caused by plaque, poor dental hygiene or poor-fitting bridges and dentures, or a poor diet
- Denture-causing stomatitis, a buildup of a fungus, which is inflammation of the tissue underlying a denture. Poor dental hygiene or ill-fitting dentures can cause this.
- Root decay, caused by root exposure to decay-causing acids.
Tips for seniors
- Daily brushing and regular flossing of your natural teeth is very important for good oral health.
- Pay attention to changes in taste, jaw alignment or pain, or tooth or gum sensitivity.
- Antibacterial mouth rinse can reduce bacteria that cause plaque and gum disease for the elderly, according to the American Dental Association.
- Since bones and gums undergo continuous structural shifts as we age, dentures can become ill-fitting. If that happens, see your dentist as soon as possible